Norfolk Island Pine, and easy plant to control its height

Pruning a Norfolk Island Pine

Even thought I have the OH TO BIG garden, I really am not that much into house plants. Years ago, in a different house, I had wide window sills, and radiators to grow house plants on. But, it is now a different time, and I only have one house plant, a Norfolk Island Pine. The Norfolk pine was originally given to my sister as a gift. She kept it for a while, and then felt I could manage it better. When I got it, the Norfolk Island Pine was a small plant, about two foot tall. I repotted it, and over the years it grew into quite a nice 6 foot tall specimen. Or, should I say, the pot and plant reached the 6 foot mark.

One day, I looked at it, and thought it had gotten a bit to tall and wide. Since I was now the owner of that plant, and really did not have much emotional attachment to it, I thought I was going to give it a HAIR CUT, and see what happens. I thought, if it lives it lives. If it dies it dies. So this is what I did to it….

First, I decided how tall I only wanted the Norfolk Island Pine to be. I decided that the pot and plant TOGETHER, would be only 4 feet tall. You only have one chance to decide, so choose carefully! Once you make the cut, you can’t glue it back on. The decided height, will be the height of the plant for the rest of its life.

Second, Cut off the top of the tree, just above, where the branches grow out from the trunk. This will now be the new top of the tree. Don’t worry about the cut, in time it will heal over, and form a kind of scarred ring.

Third, Now it is time to RESHAPE the tree, decreasing the length of ALL, or most of the branches. The branches of the Norfolk Island Pine form a kind of upside down “V“, or chevron pattern, as they grow our from the trunk. Take a pair of sharp scissors, or hand pruners, and coming up from the branch’s END MOST TIP, decide how short you want the branch to be, and clip it at the center of that stem. You can make many short clips, at it, if you are afraid, until you get it the length where you want it to be. The first clip is the scariest, but in no time, you will be a pro. Now work around the tree, from top to bottom, and decrease the length of the branches, making sure to keep its natural cone shape. Think shorter branches at the top, and longer at the bottom. In spots, if you need to, shorten the V-shaped needle growth, reforming the branches to a more natural look. It is like cutting the Norfolk Island Pine’s mustache a bit.

While writing this post, I am thinking about how long ago I trimmed my Norfolk Island Pine? It has been at least ten years, and the plant is still alive. The only growth the plant has made is that its trunk has gotten thicker. On occasion, the Norfolk Island Pine tries to shoot up a new terminal bud (new growth tip, to try to increase its height again), but I pinch it off to keep the plant the same size.

So tell me, have you ever given a Norfolk Island Pine a hair cut? Clipped its mustache?

Companion Posts
(Garden/Plant Related)
Looking at Evergreens in the Garden 1-31-2012,
Foundation Planting, Laying out Foundation Plants in front of your Home 9-28-2013,
Planting Foundation Plants across the Front of your Home 10-21-2013,
Distance Foundation Plants from your House when Planting 5-3-2012,
It’s Easy to grow PUSSYWILLOWS 2-15-2012,
Grow a Topiary from an Upright Yew 6-15-2011.
Forcing Paperwhite Narcissus, A bit of Spring in the Dead of Winter 11-20-2010.

(Interior Decorating Related)
Arranging Furniture TWELVE different ways in the Same Room 9-15-2012,
Arranging Furniture, so Sofas talk to Chairs, Like a Pro 9-7-2012,
Arranging Furniture around a Fireplace in the Corner of a Room 9-29-2012,
The Right way to Hang Curtains and Drapes 5-3-2011,
The Right height of Table Lamp for your End Table 5-19-2011.

Advertisements

About fredgonsowskigardenhome

Your eyes deserve to view beauty. I hope Fred Gonsowski Garden Home helps to turn your vision, into a reality.
This entry was posted in House plants / Forcing bulbs and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Norfolk Island Pine, and easy plant to control its height

1. Hi there Everyone. It’s Dec 22, 2012 and the Norfolk Island pine is still doing fine. It was been repotted last summer, Kind A . I really cut back some of its over grown roots, and knocked off a lot of old soil and replanted it with new soil in the pot I had it in from the start. The tree, on occasion still wants to grow a new leader branch, but when I see one starting, I pinch it off. Last Christmas I decorated it for the Holidays, this year, it is up in one of my bedrooms, waiting for me to take down the X’mas tree so it can go back to where it likes spends most of its time in my TV room. I would say, I am not the best of a friend to the poor Norfolk pine. It gets a drink once a week, BUT I never fertilized it since I got it from my sister almost 17 years ago. If it can live with me, the Tree is a survivor. Yours, because you will MOST LIKELY give it more love and attention than I ever will, will do just fine;-},

• Ana Myers says:

Hi Fred,
      I have had a Norfolk pine tree for more than ten years. I did not repot it to keep it from growing. That idea did not work, It grew a bit too much. This winter it was so tall that we could not place it inside the house as we have done in previous years. I am going to trim it so I can keep it inside during winter.
      Thanks

• Hi there Ana, In the last twenty years since I’ve been “gifted” a Norfolk Pine that I really did not want, I’ve only re-potted it once. I give it a clipping here and there as needed. Right before Christmas I really gave it a good once over, since I was moving it to another room. No matter how much you abuse the Norfolk Pine it still keeps growing on. Good luck with your project and thanks for your comment ;-}

2. Laurie Dunn says:

I have an almost 6ft Norfolk pine I got from my brothers funeral yesterday. It’s definitely top heavy. while I like the pruning you did I’d like to know if I can take a cutting and root it? That way I could share with my Mom and others. What are you’re thoughts?

• My sympathy to you Laurie, on the loss of your brother. My Norfolk pine was also a funeral gift to my sister, from an office friend, when my father died. She is not a green thumb, so I ended up with the tree. I don’t know if you can take a cutting of any kind. I would say, go to a good garden center or green house in your area, and talk to them, and get their advice. Is there a Cooperative extension in you area? (Look in the phone book for your county) Some of them have master gardeners who might know if what you want is possible. Call up a Botanical garden in your area, if you have one, they might be able to answer your question. Sorry for you lose and that I could not help you with your project. FG

3. Gail says:

The back of my tree has lost all of its branches. Will they grow back? I do have mine facing the East.
    Gail

• Hi there Gail, You must have had yours up against at wall, where it got no light on its backside????. In nature, outside, if something is planted up against a house, fence, or another bush, let’s say, the plant looses its leaves/needles in the spot where no light gets to that side of the plant. If you move the plant toward the sun, and turn it so that side gets light, it possibly might try growing new branches, but mine seems to only want to push new growth at the top, which I keep pinching off to keep it small. My plant is tortured by me, as I said in the article, I have no real emotional attachment to it. It will be in my TV room as long as it lives. They day it decides to go to the big garden in the sky, I wish it a fond Good By ;-}

4. Brad says:

I’m also not a big fan of house plants. However, we bought a Norfolk Pine 2 years ago as a year round Christmas Tree. I’ve since banzai’d it to have the look of a Canopy Palm, if you can believe that! It is about 3 ft tall and has 4 trunks leading up to a few top branches. It was an experiment that I was willing to lose the plant over, but it has stayed strong. I keep it by the south facing sliding glass doors in indirect light and water just once a month.

• Hi there Brad, you love your plant as much as I do mine ( don’t care if it lives or dies ;-} ). I water mine weekly, sometimes more, but on occasion I know it is getting too dry when it starts getting golden brown branches that fall off. Even though I have a big garden, I’m not a house plant person either. I think it depends on the house you have. My old house had deep windowsills and radiators to put plants on. This house is a 50’s modern, and even though I have a lot of windows, there are not places for plants. Thanks for your comment.

5. Leisa & Derek says:

We had our north fork pine now for over 8 years, we not done any thing special to ours. Every now and then I feed it sugar water, it still as beautiful as day I bought it for my husband.

• Hi there L & D, mine is almost 21 years old; it was a gift given to my sister when my father died. As much as I like plants outside, I’m not a house plant person, but because of the reason the gift was given, I keep it. I’ve re-potted it once, give it an occasional trimming, and just give it water as needed. I think I’ve gave it fertilizer just once in all the years that I’ve owned it. From my comment you probably realize that I would like it gone, but it still wants to live here, no matter what, so I let it stay ;-}

6. Angela Jones says:

I absolutely hate my Norfolk pine. Its roots are devasting, it ripped up my driveway.
    Now have new driveway but I know its roots will come through that like before.
    I want to kill the roots how do it do that. They are the size of my legs so I cannt dig them out.
    Just want a something that I can pour onto it.

• Hi there Angela, do you have an electric drill? If so, insert a big “bit” in it and make many holes in the roots of the Norfolk Pine. You could possibly then pour some RoundUp in the holes and see if that kills the plant. Good luck with your project, that is the about the best suggestion I can give.

7. Kathi says:

Hi, Fred:
    My Norfolk Pine and I have lived together for nearly 35 years, he moves wherever I move. Like your tree, mine was a gift from my sister, therefore, he carries heavy sentimental significance. He is large and healthy. Every May, several strong men move him to my patio and inside, again, in October. I live in PA so he cannot over winter outside. Mr Tree is over nine feet tall and currently needs a trim, which leads me to you. I started looking into what time of year is ideal for giving him a haircut. After reading online that trimming may stop growth, after all of these years I started wondering if he truly is a Norfolk Pine. Here’s the reason I now question his species: about 15 years ago I gave him a severe trim (to 4′ tall) and started with his trunk. Out of that cut came two sprouts of trunk that are now both four feet. Misting, which I started after this dramatic trim, creates continuous new light green sprouts. Over the years I have trimmed his branches and I spray him several times over winter and in summer, and growth continues. So my questions are: is Spring a good time to trim a tree that lives inside but moves outside for warm weather, and do you think it’s likely he is different tree species because he grows after trims? Thank you.

• Hi there Kathi, all trees, no matter what kind, will try to “right” themselves no matter what. All trees have a terminal bud, which is the main leader of the tree. If the main leader is cut off, the tree will then start forming a new one, or possibly two to keep the plant growing taller. As for trimming a Norfolk Pine, do it anytime of year as you want. I gave mine a hair cut before Christmas, when it was moved to an upstairs bedroom for a month (my real Christmas tree took its place).

The new light green sprouts that show up are new growth tips that come at the ends of branches that have been trimmed. So I say to you, be brave and slowly trim the Norfolk Pine. Put it in a spot where you can walk around and look at it from every angle as you are giving it a trim. I really neglect my tree, and only re-potted it once, never give it any plant food, and even let it dry out, and the darn thing keeps living on. Kathi good luck with your gardening project!